Breaking the Spell
Why We Cling to Irrational Beliefs & Strategies to Reduce Bias
Humans appear to behave in ways that are irrational and even contrary to our best interests. Why do we behave this way? Can anything be done to help us make better choices?
This literature review looks at common patterns of behavior and biases, examines underlying causes, and proposes paths forward. The tactics presented here will help you change your mind and will also help you change other people’s minds.
In this review you will learn things like:
- Why facts backfire and what you can do about it
- How social norms can be created
- What evolutionary theory says about moral reasoning
- How to use the Moral Foundation theory in debate
- 19 different tips to interventions that influence our beliefs
While behavioral science can shed an often-unwelcome light on the folly of our ways, it can also illuminate opportunities to influence positive behavioral change. Some of the same strategies that entrench people in unproductive patterns can also be leveraged to make people healthier and happier.